If you have a custom web domain and need to change it, there are a few steps involved to successfully reconnect your domain. This applies if your base domain changes (i.e. example.com changes to newexample.com), or if you need to change your subdomain (i.e. portal.example.com changes to help.example.com).
- If you have a custom email domain, you will need to delete this connection first. Go to Settings > Domains, click the 3 dots to the right of your custom email domain, and select Delete. You can reconnect this later.
- Next, while still in Settings > Domains, click the 3 dots to the right of your custom web domain, and select Delete.
- Give the system some time for the records to be removed. We recommend waiting about 15-30 minutes before moving on to the next step.
- Go to your DNS registrar and delete the CNAME record you added for the previous custom domain. It should be your old subdomain as the name, and secure.copilot.app as the value.
- To ensure that reconnection goes smoothly, wait another 15-30 minutes before reconnecting your new custom domain in the next step.
- Go to Settings > Domains in your portal and reconnect the custom domain. Enter your base domain (example.com), select your DNS registrar, and enter your preferred subdomain.
- Once you've entered the correct information, you'll receive your new CNAME record.
- Go back to your DNS registrar and add the new CNAME record.
- Once this is entered, it will take time for the records to propagate. Usually this happens within an hour, but can take up to 24 hours.
- After you are seeing an Active status for your custom web domain, you can continue to reconnect your custom email domain. Be sure to wait until your web domain is active before reconnecting your custom email domain.
If you have any issues, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org